Happy Friday! I am SO exited to present my top 10 favorite finds this summer. These items are the things I’ve been buying over and over again and highly recommend you do the same. I’ve had a lot of people ask me what to buy at the grocery store and ideas for healthy snacks—well, you’re about to find some of my tips and tricks (and the not-so-healthy too!) Let’s get right into it!
1. Angie’s Boom Chicka Puff: It’s like fancier, more nutritious adult Cheetos. If you love white cheddar, these will be tough to keep your paws off of. I’m a little ashamed of how fast I’d go through these bags–but hey, it’s made with ancient grains, so it’s not as bad as many other things, right? 🙂 I found these at Fresh Market, but am sure you can find them at Whole Foods, Central Market, etc.
2. Organic India ghee: I’m late on the ghee train, but I’m so happy I finally boarded. I’m not a nutritionist, but I do know it’s grass fed, it’s healthy fats and you can cook it safely at any temperature. It’s just clarified butter and it makes my whole house smell like butter. YUM. I’ve sauteed veggies in it, cooked pancakes in it, spread it on an Udi’s English muffin, you name it.
3. Peaches: Pretty self-explanatory, but I just can’t get enough stone fruit in the summer. Peaches, nectarines, plums, gimme. it. all. I find stone fruit to be MUCH more flavorful and tasty than apples around this time, and they make the perfect afternoon snack or pre-workout snack in the morning. I also threw them into green smoothies, chopped them up for yogurt bowls, topped off my acai bowls with them, make fruit salad…I’m a freak!
4. Siggi’s strawberry rhubarb: This is a new discovery! The flavor and richness of this whole milk Icelandic style yogurt is tough to beat. The “whole milk” thing freaked me out and I’m so used to Greek yogurt, but the consistency and flavor is spot on. They also don’t use any artificial sweeteners, so no unnecessary sugar in your yogurt goes a long way. #ammiright
5. Ancient Harvest Gfree Lentil & Quinoa Rotelle: You’d expect this to be super milly, dry and flavorless, right? WRONG. This pasta is the best tasting and the most nutritious out of anything I’ve tasted thus far. It’s a little pricey, but you’re getting plant based protein in your PASTA. It’s pretty much a dream come true. I’ve been cooking up “pasta primavera” here at our house– this pasta + homemade pesto + sauteed veggies. Perfect meal.
6. La Croix Coconut: My husband and I are obsessed with this beachy flavor. It’s the perfect sparkling water, and we’ve gone through a bunch of flavors and boxes of La Croix in this hot Texas summer. Coconut is the winner!
7. Tower Garden: It was the product that kept on giving this summer. We grew tons of basil (hello, pesto!), kale and spinach. I didn’t even have to buy lettuce this entire summer and had enough for salads and smoothies. Incredible. The Tower Garden is an aeroponic gardening system that doesn’t use dirt. You just plug that sucker in, put water in the reservoir (at the bottom) and it circulates water up the tower, bathing the roots and causing your food to grow 30% faster than if it were in the ground. Can’t get much more local than that! If you’re interested, I can hook you up with one! Click here.
8. Trader Joe’s Yogurt Pretzels: The bane of my existence. If these are in my house, they will be eaten. By me and only me. There’s not many redeeming qualities nutritionally-wise, but they’re creamy, sugary, salty handfuls of bliss.
9. Eat Pastry Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Ohhhh. myyyyyy. gosssssshhhh. Vegan, Non-gmo, egg-free cookie dough made for eating by the spoonful. Seriously. It’s SO tasty and SO bad for me to have in my fridge. But you have to buy some…it’s that good. The danger factor comes into play when you start spooning out little bites here and there. If it were a plate of cookies, I wouldn’t be tempted. The fact that I get to ration out little amounts at a time—that’s what gets me. But it’s totally worth it 😉 Also, their Instagram is pretty much what piqued my interest and had me looking around Whole Foods for it. It’s hilariously raunchy.
10. Wawamelon: all day everyday. Watermelon by itself, in a salad, in a cocktail, as a refreshing juice. Just give me all the watermelon!
If you haven’t tried some of my summer faves, I encourage you to do so! You won’t regret these purchases– That Foodie Girl approved 🙂
Anyone have fun plans this weekend? We’re going to start with cocktails this evening to celebrate a few milestones for his work and mine, and nothing on the agenda for tomorrow except get a workout in, stop by our favorite bakery and be lazy. Sounds good to me! Have a good one!